Friday, April 07, 2006

Warning Rant Ahead

So I finally figured out where I'm going to law school. It was actually a really easy decision and here's why. I applied to seven law schools. I got rejected by three: George Washington, Illinois and Ohio State. I got wait listed by three: Wisconsin, American and Iowa. I got accepted by one: DePaul. Thus, by default, I'm going to DePaul unless I can somehow get off the wait list at one of those three schools I listed above. I'm sure I'll be happy at DePaul. I'll be returning home to Chicago and the law school has fabulous job connections to Chicago. But at the same time I'm a bit pissed off today because I feel that the law school admission process is a complete farce. I believed before I started applying, that law schools would take a long look not only at how I did on the LSAT, but also how I did at Notre Dame and then my work experiences. I knew my LSAT score was the weakest part of my application. But I figured my strong GPA and my work experiences would overshadow my average LSAT score (75th percentile). But how naive of me. I should have realized that as long as I wasn't dealing drugs before I applied to law school, and I wasn't a completely screw-off in college (above a 3.0), the only thing that mattered is how I did on a 4 hour test. I mean if that's all we're going to judge whether someone is a suitable candidate for a law school, we might as well replace admission officers with monkeys and get rid of the requirement that all law school applicants have to have a college degree. I didn't think I would get into every school I applied to, but I believed I would get into more than one. I think what frustrates me most about this whole process is that I think at a number of these schools that I did not get into, I believe I would do better than half of the kids who are actually admitted and attend the law school because guess what kids, just because you have a high LSAT score does not mean you're going to be a good law student. This may come as a shocker to some law school admissions officers but its true. I think back to a story that one of the attorneys in my office shared on how he got only a 154 on his LSAT and then there were all these other kids in his class who scored in the 160s and got all this scholarship money. Guess what happened? The attorney in my office with the 154 did significant better than a lot of those 160s students, many of whom found themselves on academic probation after their first semester. I'm sorry if this post came off as bit petty, but I'm just a bit frustrated at the moment.