Friday, October 21, 2005

BYU Prediction

Before I get to my BYU prediction, I'd like to apologize for the lack of posts this week. I have been swamped with work and law school applications, so that has left me zero time to post anything. Posting is likely going to continue to be sporadic over the next couple of weeks as I try to finish all of my applications. Now to the BYU game. Last year the BYU game was the beginning of the end of the Willingham era as Notre Dame suffered an embarrassing 20-17 loss at BYU. Notre Dame rushed for only 11 yards and looked lost offensively the entire game. This year will be a different story, and it all starts with the coaching staff. Last year Bill Dedrick did not have a clue on how to attack the 3-3-5 defense of BYU, while this year, Weis has proven time and time again his ability to exploit all defenses. He should have no problem exploiting the high risk, high reward defense of BYU. In addition, Notre Dame is a far more talented team than BYU. The only way this game is close is if the defense of BYU can create a number of turnovers because BYU is going to struggle mightily to move the ball against the Irish. They don't have Reggie Bush, so they're going to struggle to run the ball. In addition, they have only one good receiver, Todd Watkins, and Notre Dame has shown in previous games (e.g., Michigan and Pitt) that it can shut down a team's passing attack if there's only one good receiver to defend. If this game is within two touchdowns in the 4th quarter I'll be shocked. There will be no USC hangover. Notre Dame 42 BYU 14