Saturday, April 29, 2006

Enough Already ESPN

I've been meaning to write about this for several days now, but I keep putting it off because the Reggie Bush story gets better and better each passing day. ESPN seems to believe that everyone in the nation is on pins and needles, just waiting for Barry Bonds to pass Babe Ruth's record. They cut into their regular coverage to show Bonds' at-bats. Whenever he hits a home run, it's the top story on SportsCenter, and they replay the home run countless times. I have one simple question, outside of San Francisco, does anyone care if Bonds passes Babe Ruth? In fact, I have a better question, outside of San Francisco, isn't everyone rooting for Bonds to not pass Ruth? I know I am. Bonds has only gotten close to Ruth by taking performance enhancing drugs and on top of that, he is one of the most loathsome characters in all of sports. I don't think I'm alone in this belief. Bonds is booed at every road game. Fans chant, "Steroids, Steroids, Steroids," and some even throw needles at Bonds. Yet ESPN somehow believes that we all are rooting for Bonds to break the record. Get a clue ESPN.